Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Stand Up, Sit Down, Fight, Fight, Fight

This guy. 
Did this.
During the playing of the national anthem. 

He made a statement explaining why he chose to sit rather than stand. Tradition calls for Americans to stand during the playing of the national anthem. Colin Kaepernick has his reasons for exercising his right of free speech. I'm not going to comment as to if those reasons are appropriate or valid. That is not the point of this post. It is this.


Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech. Under the constitution he has the absolute right to sit during the national anthem. He can set forth any reason or reasons he wants. I only have two issues. 

First, those who employ him as a representative of their product or service have no obligation to continue to employ him. His free speech right may cost him endorsements. I doubt it will put his football career in jeopardy. Skilled NFL quarterbacks are an extremely rare commodity. He will not be judged on if he stood or sat during the national anthem. He will retain or lose that job based on his playing ability. I have a fantasy football team. He is not my quarterback. It has nothing to do with his decision to sit. It has everything to do with his ability to play football. There were better players available. 

The second issue has to do with what I see as a double standard. When the duck dynasty star spewed his racist and sexist nonsense many were screaming bloody murder when there was talk of cancelling the show or booting him off. Many of those same folks are now screaming for Colin Kaepernick's firing. Those who defended Kim Davis' position to exercise her freedom of religion to deny gays marriage licenses are opposed to his right to exercise his free speech. It just seems to me that contrary to what many claim there is a racial component to this. This uppity n------- needs to stand during the national anthem and then get out there an play some football. If he can't stand his black ass up he shouldn't get to play. It is just wrong. They are just wrong. 

I think what is important to me is that I get to hear a variety of viewpoints. I won't agree with all of them. Some I may find extremely offensive. It does not mean I want them silenced. If, like Mr. Kaepernick, they are peacefully calling attention to what they perceive to be injustices they should be allowed, dare I say, even encouraged to exercise their free speech rights. So, for my part, Colin, speak. Say what you need to say.  Try to move the conversation about justice and black lives and experience forward. 





1 comment:

  1. You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. See the link below for more info.

    #standing
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete