Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Expectations

We all have expectations. Things we think will happen to us or that life will provide for us. The problem we often encounter is that what happens in our lives does not match up with what we expected to happen. I have tried for a long time to remember a simple fact. The key to happiness is low expectations. No one is responsible for my happiness but me. No one else can make me happy or sad for that matter. When I expect nothing from others and understand the world owes me nothing I am living the way I should. If something good happens or someone does something kind for me I can appreciate it and not be sad or hurt because they didn't do more. Make no mistake here about how I feel. I can love you, be kind to you, be your friend. I simply have no expectation that any of that will cause you to do anything. I know what I expect from me. When I'm upset about something it I generally because I have set an expectation for myself that I failed to meet. It isn't something someone else did or didn't do it was my failure. So, set your goals but remember that no one cares about them as much as you do. If they depend on someone else to achieve them you will probably fail. Go do your best and expect very little to happen. You will probably be happier when the results are better than you hoped. Beats being disappointed when you expected too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment