Sunday, January 15, 2017

Unaware

I worked in juvenile detention and in a prison. It leads you to do your best to be aware of what is going on around you all the time. Carol gets upset sometimes because when we are out I will stare at people. If you are out and I see you doing something out of the ordinary I am watching you. The last couple of days I have had the opportunity to see some people who needed to be more aware of what was happening around them.

We go up to Benny's at least five days a week in the afternoon for a beer or two and some social time. The front of the building is windows and is referred to by regulars at Benny's as Tybee TV. The windows are coated so when you stand outside they look like mirrors. The other day a group of girls were outside checking things on their phones and talking. They kept coming up to the windows to check their hair and makeup and touch up whatever they felt needed attention. One of the regulars finally went out and told them we were getting tired of watching them primp at the window. They seemed surprised we could see them. The week before some guy stopped to check his nose and deal with a booger that was hanging. Wake up folks. They don't put mirrors in window frames on the front of a building.

Today I was out walking Rose and Lily. We were on Lynch Loop which runs by one of the coastal batteries and North Beach Grill. It is a one way loop and we always walk against traffic. I want to see who is going to hit me. A car came up behind us and the driver rolled down her window to ask me a question. It was very foggy today and visibility was about a quarter mile. The lady driving asked me: "Where is the lighthouse?" I was so surprised I couldn't even respond verbally. I just pointed across the street. It was about 500 feet to the west of their car. She had been looking for it on the ocean side of the street. Never mind that the only way to get where she was she had to drive by it.

The last one also occurred today. Rose, Lily and I were about a quarter mile from home when a lady and her dog came out of a house about 100 yards in front of us. Rose and Lily are huge barkers so I had them sit for a few seconds and then we took the next side street. It ran parallel to the street this woman and her dog were on but I was hoping we would walk fast enough to get ahead of her when we turned toward our house for the last two blocks. It didn't work that way. We got to the corner about the same time so I had Rose and Lily sit again and wait for them to get about 100 yards ahead of us again. We started walking and it appeared to me that the dog was walking along taking a shit on the street. It never squatted down just walked along shitting. Tybee has an ordinance that requires you to clean up after your dog. Sure enough when we got up where the dog had been there were several turds along the street. I know the woman never had a clue what her dog had done.

So, it is no wonder that our nation is in the shape it is. Too many of our fellow citizens are just clueless about what is going on around them. How what they do impacts others around them. They just are oblivious about anything. If they aren't medicated perhaps they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment