Monday, April 3, 2017

Budde's- The Coolers Part 3

The journey continues.

This is Bent River Brewing Uncommon Stout. It is their top selling beer. It is an oatmeal stout infused with an excellent coffee. The oatmeal gives the beer a silky mouth feel. It is an excellent winter beer.

The next beer pictured above is Revolution Bottom Up Wit. This is a Belgian style wheat beer spiced with coriander and orange peel. Once again this was a step out of my personal comfort zone. Not a bad beer just not a style of beer that I prefer.

This is Founders Backwoods Bastard. Since I live in the middle of nowhere in BFE Illinois this should be my beer of choice. It is not. This is a wee heavy scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels. This results in a beer that is smoky, with flavors of caramel and roasted malt. It has an alcohol content of 11.2% so it is a beer you take time and savor. It is also out of my comfort zone. I am not a bourbon drinker and find that beers aged in bourbon barrels carry too much of that flavor for my liking.


Schlafly Coffee Stout is very similar to the Uncommon Stout from Bent River. It is another oatmeal stout flavored with coffee. This time the coffee is from Kaldi's Coffee in St. Louis. I cannot recommend one of these two stouts above the other. It is my opinion that in a blind taste test they would be virtually impossible to tell apart.

The final beer for this post is Bell's Brewing Quinannan Falls Special Lager Beer. This is a dry hopped lager flavored with Simcoe hops. The result is a piney lager that goes down easy. A refreshing beer for those warm summer evenings.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect the best thing about all these beers is the artwork.

    ReplyDelete