Friday, May 12, 2017

Bambi- I'll Be Watching You

Let me start by saying I'm talking about deer not strippers. I've felt for a long time that man's rein on Earth is destined to come to an end. How soon? Well, that is a matter of debate for folks who are much smarter than me. The path we are currently on as the human race is not sustainable. The question is not if, but when and how we will meet our eventual doom. Eruption of the super volcano under Yellowstone National Park? Asteroid like the one that doomed the dinosaurs? A contest between ego manics with thermonuclear weapons? The failure of our antibiotics to control disease? A combination of those factors? The end is coming. Even if it doesn't happen to the human race it will happen to us as individuals. We are going to die. What does this have to do with Bambi?

Some of us die and go through the elaborate ritual of having a funeral, the casket, the burial in a cemetery. Some of us choose cremation and our ashes are scattered, end up in an urn on the mantel or in a shoe box in the closet. A few souls donate their bodies to extend our scientific knowledge. In order to solve crimes some folks allow their bodies to be placed in the woods and allowed to decompose naturally. It enables forensic scientists to determine when a body is found based on decomposition how long it has been there. It can assist in finding the time of death and locating possible suspects based on that information. Now for Bambi's part in this morbid story.

That is Bambi with a human rib hanging out of its mouth like a cigar. It is the first documented photograph of a deer grazing on human remains. This was one of those monitored experiments I was writing about earlier to determine the rate of human decomposition. I'm not sure about the rest of you dear readers but I personally don't care what happens to my body after I die. After all, I'm dead. Funerals and the rituals we have surrounding death are not for the dead, they are for the living we leave behind. Do I want to be a part of Bambi's rib buffet in Sutor's woods? Not really, but if that is how it goes, well, that's how it goes. Before we get to that point I encourage John and Beau to allow me to even the score. Deer ribs for dinner anyone? The circle of life completed.

Bambi, I will fight your quest for global domination. We thought you were innocent peaceful animals. It is clear in our language. She made doe eyes at me. He is gentle as a deer. Peaceful as deer in a meadow. Now we know the truth. We will be watching. Oh, and shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment