Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Frog

Last Friday was one of the events I enjoy attending on Tybee Island. It is the annual Savannah College of Art and Design Sand Art Festival. Students and faculty from SCAD come out to the beach for a day in the sun to paint, draw, sculpt and display art works on the beach. Today I want to talk about the creative process. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I watch art being created, the process always amazes me. I don't understand what they see that I do not. It is clear to me that while artists and I live in the same universe their perception of it is quite different from mine. While I can stand back and appreciate what they do I cannot duplicate their efforts or vision. There were a number of groups working on projects. While I appreciate their collaborative efforts I think in many ways art is an individual effort. So today I want to highlight the work or one young lady. I tried to get to the beach early enough to watch as the works progressed. It required repeated trips up and down the beach taking pictures as the works progressed. In reviewing those pictures I realized I had not gotten a very early picture of her work. Perhaps she progressed into it rather rapidly or when I first walked by all I perceived was a lump of wet sand.

As you can see she is well on her way. It is already recognizable as a frog.

 According to the time stamp this is about 45 minutes later. The work is progressing nicely.

This is about 40 minutes later. She continues to work and add the details.

This is the view from the other side a few moments after the previous picture. I was impressed with the details in the leg and foot on this side. It is the last picture I got of her work. I wandered by those three times and took these pictures. She was focused on her work and seemed to pay little attention to the crowds wandering the beach that day. It was refreshing to see someone so completely in the moment working at something she clearly has a talent to share.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job. Must be tough to create art that won't last.

    ReplyDelete