Monday, May 15, 2017

The Distillery

Yesterday was Mother's Day so Tammie, Bailey, Josephine and I took Carol out for a late lunch. We ended up at the Distillery. Carol and I had been here before. Great beer selection and very good food. An interesting building with an interesting history.

The Kentucky Distilling Company opened in the building pictured above in 1904. The Temperance Movement was gaining traction and the ownership changed to the Louisville Distilling Company. They served the Savannah community until 1907. By 1920 Georgia had joined the rest of the United States and prohibited alcohol. The number of distilleries dropped from about 1,100 to only 33. Those 33 were allowed to produce alcohol for medical purposes only. The building became Freich's Pharmacy serving as a drug store, soda fountain and lunch counter until 1940. In 2008 the building became the Distillery Ale House. I found their approach to beer interesting.

Note the list of beers they do not carry. Of the list the only one that hurts my feelings a little bit is PBR.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting history. I see the carry my old standard, Miller Lie. Great Taste - Less filling.

    ReplyDelete