Sunday, September 3, 2017

In the Beginning- Doctor Visits

My story resumes about where we left off yesterday. It is just past my first birthday and it is time to see Dr. Dayton.
There are a couple of things to note here. It starts with "Jeff has made another big gain in weight and although he has not gained very much in height he is still tall." We will see other terms used by the good Doctor in future visits. The second thing of note is the fact that polio vaccine will be available soon. It had to be such a relief to parents that a vaccine had been developed to protect their children from this crippling disease. By the time Carol and I had our children it wasn't anything you even thought about. My baby book notes that I took my first step in February 1955, I was walking well in April that year and by May I was all over the yard. My first haircut happened in Oneida on May 2, 1955.

The next doctor note I have is September 26,1955. I have gained in weight and height but I check out well so the good doctor does not seemed too concerned.

In December 1956 I'm back at the doctor. I'm no longer the younger brother of Jay. I am the middle child caught between older brother Jay and younger brother David. I'm also flat footed and need leather arch supports in my shoes. I don't remember having special shoes but then again I remember very little of my early years. I apparently was too busy playing and eating dirt.

Here the doctor gets a little more realistic about me. "Jeff is a big, husky youngster." Even back then they were hesitant to call you fat. I have a hernia that requires surgery and I need special shoes. I have become a doctors dream. This kid needs stuff and the doctor has bills to pay. We will pick up the story tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment