Monday, February 19, 2018

I'm Back

I took some time off to contemplate, think, ponder and examine. The question in my head was a simple one. Do I want to continue to write this blog? I was looking at the state of the society we are in and it was making me increasingly angry. Did I want to sit down day after day and shoot my anger out of my fingertips into cyber space? Did I have anything to say that wasn't angry? It is exhausting to stay mad. It seemed as time went on that it just fell into a feeling of hopelessness. Sure, I could get on here and rant and rave about politics, religion, education, stupid drivers, global warming, the military budget, the price of a good steak, and a hundred other topics. What difference would it make? I thought most likely no difference. So, what would be the point? Maybe I should just quit. Then some jackass with a gun decided to shoot up a school in Florida. I watched high school students organizing and saying enough is enough. Stop offering thoughts and prayers and do something. So, if all I have some days is anger to spew about whatever it is that has pissed me off, well that is what you are going to get. Maybe some days it will be a happy story about something nice I noticed around town or a piece of art or literature I enjoyed. Not today. Maybe not for a few days. Maybe never. I am going to continue this blog. If you don't like what I write you have two options. First, take some time to get your thoughts together and write a comment. I don't review them before publication. You get an uncensored shot at a response. Call me stupid, call me names, DILLIGAF. Second option is stop reading my blog. Find some other thing to read or just sit around a scratch whatever itches. I don't get paid for this and you reading or leaving doesn't matter to me.

The school shooting in Florida has reignited the gun debate. I'm sure in a week or two this will all die down and nothing will happen. I am hoping those optimistic high school kids in Florida prove me wrong. The usual arguments are being made. Arm teachers with guns. Really? Just how fucking stupid are you? I wouldn't have to bring a gun to school, I could just take one away from a teacher. Who thinks that at some point a teacher will snap and open fire on their class because they are sick of the back talk and bullshit? This guy! Of course the blame will be mental health problems. Well, only if the teacher is white. Black person- thug. Someone we can identify as middle eastern- terrorist. Hispanic- gang banger, rapist, or drug dealer. Apparently Hispanics are multi-talented. I'm pretty sure if a teacher was to shoot back at an armed gunman in a school there would still be about the same number of deaths, they would just be from two different guns. Lack of training and ongoing practice would result in bullets hitting about anything except what they intended. Those of you who think the issue has nothing to do with the use of an AR-15 need to read the article from a couple of writers who reviewed the autopsy reports from the Las Vegas shooting. Learn a little something about cavitation or hydrostatic shock caused by bullets. Be prepared to be horrified.Those of you with children or grandchildren going to school, the mall, a movie theater or any other public place need to get off your asses and make the government do something. I can hear the gun nuts now. If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. If you want to go with that logic why have any laws at all? If murderers are going to kill people have a law making it illegal won't stop them. If people are going to drive drunk anyway why should that be illegal. It didn't stop them. It is a stupid argument. Sure, semi automatic rifles like the AR-15 are fun to shoot. Do you need one to kill that deer? No. Home protection? There are other effective alternatives. Fight the government? Really? Are you that fucking ignorant? If they want to take you out they got stuff way more effective that you can't fight against. Helicopters, drones, tanks, fighter jets. Get fucking real.

I'm done for now. See you soon or not.

1 comment: