Wednesday, August 21, 2013

No Wonder the New Normal is STUPID

I read things with a healthy helping of skepticism. Just because someone said it doesn't mean it is true. It may not be even partially true. Come on I've admitted to hearing Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh. Truth, it didn't seem like I heard any when they were talking. Yesterday I read an small piece about reading. I find the statistics frightening IF they are true. They seem so out of whack that it is impossible for them to be true. Then, well then, I think about shopping at WalMart and the collective IQ of the "associates" and customers. I generally feel the temperature of the building is higher than the average IQ of the occupants. I have, from time to time, mentioned that I read. Some years I read lots. Maybe too much. One year I was determined to keep track. I finished the year having read almost 30,000 pages from over 100 books. Now, to be completely honest these were not all difficult books to read. Did I read the Fifty Shades of Grey series. Fuck yea. The Hunger Games trilogy, yes. It also included things like Bill Clinton's book Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy. Trita Parsi's book: A Single Roll of the Dice: Obama's Diplomacy with Iran. Allison Stanger: One Nation Under Contract: The Outsourcing or American Power and the Future of Foreign Policy. Edmund Morris: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Laura Hillenbrand: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption. So it was sex, fiction, history, politics, foreign policy and whatever else seemed to interest me at the time. I said all that to say this was what I read the other day that shocked me.

The results of a study indicated that 33% of high school graduates NEVER read another book the rest of their lives. Never? Never! College graduates, 42% never read another book after college. NEVER? NEVER! College graduates not reading books. It seems impossible. They indicate that 57% of new books purchased are not read to completion. Of adults in the United States 70% have not been in a bookstore in the last 5 years. Now given the fact that there seem to be fewer bookstores I have less trouble believing that one. I have a kindle so I don't go to a bookstore very often. Don't feel the need. Finally 80% of families did not buy a book or read a book last year. It is no wonder we are in the mess we are now. We listen to snippets on the radio or see a brief story on television and we don't take the time to check out what is being said. We don't bother to think any deeper about the issue. We got our 30 seconds of "facts" and now like a dog with ADHD our brain says "LOOK-SQUIRREL!" OOOOO, Kate had a baby, Octomom had 8 babies, Lady Gaga has a new video out. Nothing is seriously considered, nothing is debated we just yell talking points at each other. The new normal is STUPID. You know it is true. If you have doubts take a walk through WalMart.

If you want something to read that will give you something to think about try this book. Eric Greitens' : The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy Seal. Lt. Commander Greitens graduated from Duke University and after graduation in 1996 was selected as a Rhodes and Truman Scholar. He is a Navy Seal and was deployed four times during the global war on terrorism. After returning from Iraq Eric used his combat pay and the disability pay from two friends to start the organization The Mission Continues. It places post 9-11 wounded and disabled veterans in community based nonprofit organizations for 14 to 28 weeks. It matches each with a mentor who assists the veteran in developing educational and professional goals. If you are going to read one book think about making it this one. He is a fascinating man with an incredible story. It is not about war it is about being a man and trying to make a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment