Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dr. Hill

From time to time I lose my resolve and go see the good doctor. It has been a long relationship between Dr. Hill and I. He was the physician of choice when I began working at the Mary Davis Home. At that time, around 1980, he was new in the Galesburg area and was trying to build a practice. We would have to transport the kids to his office in handcuffs. I remember one visit where we had to work on a few issues. Dr. Hill is English. He had a bit more accent then as opposed to now. He also used terms that he would have used in Great Britain which confused the unsophisticated clients we had. On the visit I remember best he told the young man I had taken over to see him to: "Pull up your jersey and pull down your trousers." The young man being examined turned to me with that deer in the headlights look. He had no idea what Dr. Hill wanted him to do. I told him to pull up his shirt and pull down his pants. I then advised Dr. Hill that I would be his English to American English translator. I had two young men with me that day and I could not take them both in the exam room at the same time. You know that whole turn your head and cough deal. Even if it's a doctor you don't want another incarcerated guy to see another man cupping your balls. I had to leave the second young man out of my sight to witness the exam of the other kid. Having only one set of handcuffs I determined the best course of action was to cuff him to a coat rack that was mounted to the wall. He asked me what he was supposed to do and was advised to just stand there till I came back. Surprisingly he actually did.

Dr. Hill and I are both a bit older now. He is in his early 70's and feels like retirement would be boring. I am in my late 50's and feel like anything is better than working again. I hadn't been to see the good doctor in over a year because from time to time I am determined to be stupid. I had been taking medication for high blood pressure and decided with no medical evidence that it was no longer needed. When I visited today my blood pressure was 148/88. Here is the Mayo Clinic chart.

Systolic                                                     diastolic
below 120                    Normal                  below 80

121-139              pre hypertension  or       80-89

140-159           stage 1 hypertension or   90-99

160 or more    stage 2 hypertension  or 100 or more

Then you throw in the following. Heigth 70", weight 258, BMI 37.1  If I was a turkey I would be easily be considered a "butterball". So back on blood pressure medication I go. Dr. Hill also ordered some blood testing so I went upstairs and got stuck. It is likely I will end up on cholesterol medication as well. Of course he wouldn't be a good doctor if he didn't try to get me to do some other things. He suggested a flu vaccination and a colonoscopy. I declined both. He tried to convince me the colonoscopy was a good test given my age. I again declined. He tried again and I refused stating they could put that test where the sun don't shine. He advised me that was what they had in mind. Sorry Dr. Hill but no glamour shots up my poop chute.

So my advice. If you haven't seen your doctor in a while, go. If you don't know what your blood pressure is, have it checked. When you have it checked keep track of the results. If the trend over the months is up then get some medication. Don't be like me.

2 comments:

  1. A healthy Mr. Sutor would be beneficial for a lot of people. Let's just admit that we older former MDH workers need a little assist to keep in shape.
    Like you I have resisted my Dr's. admonitions to get a colonoscopy. I see they are free on my health insurance policy and sometimes the blog needs something new and different. Maaaaaybe I will. Maaaaaybe I won't. Medication for high blood pressure, yeah. Cholesterol, yeah. Been on those for awhile now and both are in good territories. My theory is doctors know a lot more than I do, so I'll accept their wisdom, regardless of personal embarrassment. Might I invite you down for a quick colonoscopy and recuperation on the beach? Stay well, Mr. Sutor, we all need you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot. Dr. Hill assisted Dr. Currie in my first and failed vasectomy.

    ReplyDelete