Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A New Refrigerator!

I have been absent from my blog for a while. I have been busy scanning family photographs in an attempt to get to know as many family members as possible while my mom is around to help with identification. There is very little more frustrating than having a picture of someone you think is a member of your family and no way to identify who they are. It becomes even more complicated in my case with the adoption of my father and the discovery of members of his biological family. I have some new pictures of them but they have not yet worked their way to the top of the scan pile. You will see them at some point in the future.

 I must admit that it is strange to go back and see pictures of yourself- young and vibrant, ready to venture forth into an unknown future. A moment caught in time that you no longer recall. Yet you hold the evidence of its occurance in your hand. I will share one such picture today. It is July 31, 1957. My parents won the G.E Swap contest by entering the oldest operating refrigerator in Knox County. It was originally purchased by my great grandmother Emma Sutor, when she passed in 1952 it went to my grandfather John J Sutor, and in 1957 it was in the house where I lived with my parents. I suppose I can be forgiven for not remembering this moment since I was just a little past 3 years old. I'm the young fella in front holding my mother's hand. My older brother Jay has just turned 5 and my younger brother David is one year old and being held by dad. The hair cuts look familiar since in those days dad didn't think we needed to go to the barber. His barbering skills were limited to buzz cuts so that's how we wore what hair we had.


1 comment:

  1. Nice to have you back. Do they even have cool contests like that anymore? Banks used to have freebies when opening a new account and some businesses had items for New Years. My Dad at the grain elevator had Kent ice cream scoops and knives among other things.
    Nice looking young family, even if the awkward cross-body hand holding looks a bit staged. Oh, and Mr. Ringlein doesn't look too happy, given this is an advertising photo. Smile!

    ReplyDelete