Tuesday, November 10, 2015

September 1963

The dates September 24 to 26, 1963. The place Morton, Illinois. More specifically the farm of Jim and Willa Sue Yordy. It was the site of the 11th annual Farm Progress Show. Why do I blog about this? I have been work on scanning pictures and slides from my parents and grandparents. Since my family farms and has in west central Illinois for almost 150 years, it makes sense someone would attend the Farm Progress Show when it was close. The pictures taken were slides which leads me to believe the attendee was my grandfather John J. Sutor. I was 9 years old at the time and the show was during the school week. So... I know I did not attend. Here are his pictures in this view into our agricultural past.

 The picture below is my favorite of the group. The green and white tractors shown are made by Oliver. It was the brand of tractor used on the farm when I was a boy. One of the tractors a model 1950 diesel is still in use. The 1950 we use was produced in 1964 or 65. It was only in production from 1964 to 1967. It has a four cylinder General Motors diesel engine which produces 105 PTO horsepower and has been tested at 98 horsepower at the drawbar. Those are not huge numbers for tractors now but back in the mid 1960's that was a big tractor.



1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed this post. The pictures are crystal clear and put me back in the days when i was on the farm with Uncle Ed. Although we never made it to this FArm progress show, the tractors, signs and guys milling about made me think of those good old days.

    ReplyDelete