Monday, May 9, 2016

Take Time to Think

Recently we went to the gay pride parade on Tybee Island. I took my camera with the intent of taking a few pictures for a blog post. It was a busy Saturday on Tybee and parking was hard to find even for a golf cart. We made several laps around downtown. Eventually I dropped Carol off at Benny's and continued my search. As I drove around I spotted a group by their vehicle putting on sun screen. They had come out to Tybee to spend some time on the beach. They were rather large individuals and were wearing swimwear that did not seem appropriate for their sizes. I thought that two piece swimsuits left too much flesh exposed and there was plenty of flesh. The men also could have benefited from additional coverage. I thought a photo or two and some smart ass comments would make a blog post. I did manage to get parked and walked a couple of blocks to have a beer with Carol and watch the parade. As I was sitting in Benny's about a half hour later I saw that group across the street. I figured, correctly, that I could go out and snap a picture or two without being obvious. So I did and started thinking about what kind of comments I could make. They would not be kind. The humor would be rude and abusive. 
If you haven't figured it out by now, this isn't that post. I try to look at as many sides of an issue as I can before I write something inappropriate. I don't know the people I photographed. It is unlikely they would have ever stumbled across this blog and their picture accompanied by my insensitive comments. So, why not proceed? 
First, I wrote a blog post some time ago about the 10 commandments. Basically I felt they could be reduced to one which essentially would tell you not to be an asshole. It seemed to me the post in my head making sport of these folks was a violation of that commandment. 
Second, who am I to make those statements. I am not a thin person. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing what they did but that doesn't make them wrong or subject to my ridicule. They are apparently more comfortable in their skin than I am in mine. Making fun of them does not speak to their issues but rather my insecurities with my appearance. 
Third, I follow an author and blogger named Brittany Gibbons. She has a book published called "Fat Girl Walking". She is comfortable in her own skin. She doesn't need my approval to feel good about who she is. I considered if I would have made those comments about her. I realized I would not and it helped me understand that they were not acceptable about these folks either. They didn't come to Tybee to be judged. They weren't there so I could make fun of them. They came out to relax and have a good time at the beach. I hope they did. This isn't the post I planned to write last week. It is a post that put things in perspective for me. 
Lots of comments are being made about "political correctness". The folks making those comments are concerned that we are too worried about offending someone else. Maybe closer to the truth, we are trying not to be an asshole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment