Wednesday, April 21, 2021

No Winner

 I’m still sorting through my feelings on this one. Yesterday there was a verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial for his killing of George Floyd. There is no question in my mind the verdict was fair and just. I have no doubt that absent modern technology a guilty verdict would not have happened. The presence of witnesses with cell phones and a willingness to record made the verdict and justice possible. Think back as few as 10 years ago.  Would so many standing by have been recording? Would it have been so quickly and widely shared on social media? I think not. We often wonder about the effects of modern technology and its impact on our lives. Sometimes, as in this case, the impact can be positive. Perhaps it will lead us to some much needed police reform. I don’t know how that reform will look. I do think that too often we send an armed officer to address issues that would be better served by a mental health professional. As a final thought I understand the relief many felt at the announcement of the guilty verdict. They felt relief and cheered. I felt somewhat differently while watching. While I agreed with the verdict I also felt that two lives were destroyed that day in Minneapolis. I find no joy in that. It is my hope that those losses will lead to meaningful change. That those changes will prevent future tragedies of this nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment