Tuesday, October 12, 2021

It’s a Bird! It’s a Plane! It’s Superman!?!

 

This is from the Washington Post. My initial reaction was wrong. My first thought was that I wasn’t ready for this change. I reacted to the headline and the picture without reading the article. Reading the article and thinking about the change in Superman helped me see how and why I was wrong. I needed to put myself in someone else’s shoes. Kids, oh hell even adults, need a hero who represents them. Jon Kent is the son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. So those who feel this is a bridge too far still have their “straight” Superman. Those in the LGBTQ community have a representative who still fights for “ truth, justice and the American way” just live the TV lead in claimed.  I know it isn’t popular at the moment but I think America is always at its best when it is inclusive. A bisexual Superman does not, as some will certainly claim, indicate a moral decline in American. It points toward us realizing that your sexuality is a part of who your are not the entirety of your existence. You can still be a hero. In this case a superhero. You can be a great son. A fighter for social justice. An advocate for a clean and healthy environment for everyone. So, bisexual Superman- I’m good with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment