Thursday, December 29, 2022

Forever Curious

 This building is in downtown Astoria, Illinois. 


Doesn’t look like much does it? Like much of small town rural America it is in a state of active decay. It wasn’t the building that got me curious as it was this stone. 


What was the K-P Hall #482? I tried using Google and got nothing useful. I asked folks around town and was told back in the 1950’s or 60’s it was a jewelry store. That didn’t explain the hall notation on the stone. Someone posted on a local history Facebook page about activities at the K of P Hall in Astoria. So a check of K of P resulted in answers. This building was a meeting hall for a fraternal order Knights of Pythias. The organization was founded in Washington, D.C. on February 19, 1864 by Justus H. Rathbone. It is based on a play by Irish poet John Banim about the legend of Damon and Pythias. Members must take the following oath:

I declare upon honor that I believe in a Supreme Being, that I am not a professional gambler, or unlawfully engaged in the wholesale or retail sale of intoxicating liquors or narcotics, and that I believe in the maintenance of the order and the upholding of constituted authority in the government in which I live. Moreover, I declare upon honor that I am not a Communist or Fascist; that I do not advocate nor am I a member of any organization that advocates the overthrow of the Government of the Country of which I am a Citizen, by force or violence or other unlawful means; and that I do not seek by force or violence to deny to other persons their rights under the laws of such country.

The organization still exists and has a few remaining lodges in Illinois. If you’re curious check out the legend of Damon and Pythias, the story of Justus Rathbone and the website of the Knights of Pythias. 

No comments:

Post a Comment