Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Two wheeln'

Today is a beautiful day. I went to Kewanee to Reiman's Harley Davidson to pick up my motorcycle. It had been in storage since last November getting some tender loving care from Reiman's experts. I am not one to gush over any business and proclaim them before the masses but Reiman's is one exception. Roger Reiman who was from Kewanee was a two time winner of the Daytona race. Not that silly stock car race the real Dayton race the 200 mile motorcycle race. Some of his personal motorcycles are on display at the dealership. The excellence Roger Reiman showed on the race track is reflected in how the staff interacts with every customer. Everything they do is done to the best of their impressive individual abilities. Enough about that. I dislocated my shoulder on June 20, 2011 and the only time I rode my motorcycle last year was on Father's Day which was June 19, 2011. So today I picked up the motorcycle and after about 30 seconds and one city block of nervousness I fell in love again. There is NOTHING in this world like riding a great motorcycle on a beautiful spring day. All the world is new. The flowers are in bloom.  The farmers are tilling the fields and the spell of freshly tilled dirt is the best smell in all of creation. There are things that tell you the passing of the seasons, fresh tilled dirt in the spring, the smell of corn pollen in the summer and in the fall the pecular sent of corn as it is harvested. I can close my eyes and smell each of them now. You miss those smells in a car. We all drive around with the windows up and the air conditioner on and don't have a chance to  notice anything. On the bike your senses are assaulted. The wind on your skin, in your hair, blowing your beard about, and whistling past your ears. The smells mentioned above. The sights around you with only your glasses to interfere with you line of sight. It is a grand and glorious thing. Those who don't ride will never understand and those who do ride will read this and think that only 10% was mentioned and there is 90% more left to say. Some things you just have to experience. You think you know about sex until you have it and it is so much more than you thought it was. Then you have sex with another person involved and you realize your solo flight was just a humble beginning of what sex could be. Riding a motorcycle is like that. You will never feel more alive. Is it better than sex? All I can say is the motorcycle ride will last a lot longer.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy wants to know why I just chuckled. Perfect essay, Jeffrey. You are so right about the senses being on hyper alert status. For me no errand is too far, mundane or inconvenient on a bike, unlike having those tasks in a car. As for sex, well, I agree.

    ReplyDelete