Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Motorcycling

I don't remember ever having a bad day on a motorcycle. Some haven't gone as well as hoped, but they were still good days. Recently my good friend Mike Blythe was back in BFE and we had the opportunity to ride together a few times. I openly admit that given my own devices I would rarely go ride with a group. This was a notable and glorious exception. It seems to me that when I ride I am rarely going anywhere. It is just me and Carol and the open road. So when we see a road that looks interesting or a place to stop and wander a bit we can do so and not feel like we are holding anyone else from something they would rather see or do. If we hadn't gone riding with Mike we never would have discovered the taste treat that is Davis Bros. Pizza. It is simply thin crust pizza at its finest. So, Mike, I will ride with you anytime. I am hoping the spring trip goes off as planned and we can spend a day or two on the open road.

I have always looked at motorcycles as a mode of transportation. Others see them as works of art. I marvel at times at their creations.


I don't know if this motorcycle could be ridden but she is a beauty to behold. Yes, I referred to the motorcyle as "she". I am a straight man and for me all beauty takes a female form and gender. I am an unashamed sexist pig. DILLIGAF!

 
I enjoy riding with Carol but when I look at the picture above there is another girl I would love to take along. The bundle of joy we call Lily Lu. Can't you just picture this sweet girl on the open road with us?
 


In contrast to my earlier statement that I prefer not to ride as a part of a group I did find a motorcycle gang that I would join. I think based on my age and the amount of pain riding causes now I qualify for immediate membership.

 
 

Finally, if you wonder why I ride, and will until I am no longer physically able, this picture should answer the question. Everytime I ride I feel like this. Somewhere deep inside, in a place no adult talks about, is a little kid. We hold him down and clean up his behavior to be socially acceptable. Every now and then those of us who own and ride mototcycles let him out to smile as we ride down the road. Reliving the days of our first tricycle or bicycle ride. The wind in our hair and if we are lucky our best buddies to one side and our best girl on the back. No longer an adult just a big goofy kid out having some fun with his friends. Smiles on our faces and bugs in our teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment