Tuesday, April 23, 2013

No She's Not

I took a look at my recent posts and realized that I had gotten too political. Distracted by the events of the day. I had overlooked passing along important news. You know, stuff that Lily is doing.

We brought home a puppy.

After Candy's death I wasn't ready to get another dog. I told myself that I would never allow myself to get that attached to a dog again. The loss was just too painful.

This is a recent picture of Lily. It was a bit cool so she managed to lay on one of my shirts and cover up with one of Carol's quilts. As you can see, she is not a puppy. The other thing she is not, is a dog. She is a member of the family. Our relationship has evolved to become something more like, she is not our dog, we are her people.

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about digging post holes for Lily's new exercise area. This is her old enclosure. The Humane Society says this 10' X 10' area is sufficient. Lily says no. As you can see she loves to dig. If you don't have room to run you have to do something to burn that energy.

This picture was taken during the rain last week. Off to the left is Lily's old pen. The fence posts around are her new area. Room to run. By the way, in her case running does not translate into less energy for digging. Now there are just more places to dig.

Yesterday she determined that standing on the deck was not high enough to get a good view of her domain. She is on top of the hot tub cover supervising all that happens in her part of the world.

You never know who might stop by for a visit. These two geese hung around for about an hour this morning. Lily barked at them the entire time. They were about as impressed as they appear in this picture.

Lily finds that supervising me and keeping annoying animals like geese away from her property is hard work. Nothing wrong with a nap in the afternoon sun.

It is important to keep your most valued possessions close by. There are those who would steal them.

So there you have it. She has managed to work that magic only dogs can. She is no longer a pet. We are not her masters. We are lucky. We are her people.

No comments:

Post a Comment