Thursday, September 24, 2015

Do Unto Others

I spent an hour this morning watching Pope Francis address our elected representatives in a joint session of Congress. Everyone listening heard what they wanted to hear and has already discarded those things that ran counter to their view of the world. Call me skeptical and callous if you must. It will change nothing in Washington. I wish it would. It will not. The two parties are polarized. The Pope's urging to cooperate and compromise were heard and will be ignored. Well, not entirely, both sides will tell the other they she cooperate and compromise. While they hold their position and give up nothing. There are a couple of things he said that I want to address. 

The death penalty. Many so called pro life folks confuse me. They are anti abortion and pro death penalty. Apparently they want to see what kind of person you become before they kill you. I oppose the death penalty. The first one could be viewed as conditional by some, the second shows it is not. Reason one is that there have been too many people who were sentenced to death who have been determined later did not commit the offense. You could reasonably ask me if there was no chance of error would I be in favor? The second reason is economic. The cost to put someone to death is much higher than a lifetime of incarceration. The attorney fees and continual appeals over a minimum of 10 years cost way more than life in prison. Keep in mind that I worked in the Illinois prison system for over 20 years. During that time I met some truly unpleasant individuals. One eventually ended up on death row. The Pope felt that everyone may be capable of rehabilitation. I know some of the men I interacted with were not ready at that time. Could they be ready later? A part of me wants to believe somewhere in them is a speck of hope worthy of redemption. 

The second thing the Pope said is, at least for me, related to the first. It was his invocation of the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. He followed up with the admonition that the yardstick you use to measure others will be the yardstick time will use to measure you. It was something I tried to be mindful of when I worked at the prison. If I was sitting in the other chair what would I want? Was it within the rules? Was it a reasonable request? I always tried to keep in mind that my job was not to punish them. It was to keep them safe, keep the other staff and public safe, and to provide them with an opportunity to see there was another way to live. Choices that could be made that did not lead them back to prison. Choices they had to make. I could not choose for them. I do keep in mind something I heard on Dr. Who last week. The good Doctor said: "Sometimes all the choices you have are bad, but you still have to choose." 

So I guess what I walked away with today from the Pope was simple. If I let the golden rule be my guide I may be disappointed in my fellow man but not in myself. I can get away from those who do not treat me in accordance with that rule, but if I live contrary to it I cannot get away from myself. I guess it leads me back to last weeks post about the 10 commandments. Remember, don't be an asshole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment