Thursday, September 17, 2015

It Was a Mistake

Last night the Republican presidential candidates gathered together for their second "debate". The mistake wasn't them gathering to talk. The mistake was mine.  I watched. I know this may be harsh but I want to give my honest assessment of the "best and brightest" the Republican Party has to offer. I spent 20 years working in a prison with rapists, drug addicts, thieves and killers. I was lied to constantly about everything you can imagine. I stood in classrooms and tried to present a class to explain to them the rules and expectations while they were incarcerated. There are days I'm sure that nothing I said made any impact on anyone in the room. I got asked questions about something I had just explained. Stupid questions. The answers I provided were always, to the best of my ability, honest and accurate. Last night I watched a group stand in front of the American people and felt like I was seeing a game of dodgeball. Dip, duck, dodge, repeat. Lie, exaggerate, misdirect, blame, repeat. What did I learn.

1. We spend more on our military than the next 10 countries combined. According to everyone on that stage it is not enough. 

2. Everything that has gone wrong with America is directly the fault of that black fella in the White House. Health care, the decifict, job losses, international affairs were all good till he got elected.

3. Jeb says his brother George was a great president and kept us safe. I seem to remember 9-11-2001 happened on his watch. War in Iraq has done nothing to make us safer. 

4. Abortion and gay marriage are the result of liberal judges and they are destroying America. 

Where was the talk about income inequality? Social security? Hunger? Poverty? Race relations? Criminal justice reform? 

Silence on those. 

I won't watch those clowns again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment