Monday, March 14, 2016

Music Has Power

Saturday was the Irish Heritage Parade on Tybee Island. The big parade will be in Savannah on St. Patrick's Day this Thursday. By big parade I do mean big. Last year the parade lasted about 8 hours, featured 300+ floats along with marching bands and other groups. Carol and I have not attended one in Savannah yet but it is on our list. One of the groups that comes to participate every year is Barabbas and the Tribe. They are Junkanoo performers. Not familiar with Junkanoo? Well, I wasn't either. It is a tradition from the Bahamas. Essentially it is a street parade with music, dance and costumes. The music features goat skin drums and cowbells along with other instruments. As Christopher Walken says, "I got a need for more cowbell."  Here is Barabbas and the Tribe.




This group is loud and fun. If you are having a party they are a must attend guest. The group following them was school girls in their uniforms carrying the flags of Ireland. All the girls maintained their marching and decorum except one. The power of the music simply took control of her. 


The giveaway is the movement of her skirt. Everyone else is with the flag program. She has gone Junkanoo. 


Sometimes the power of music just moves you. 

3 comments:

  1. Junkanoo. Love the word. This white, uptight, Midwesterner has never been overcome by music yet so odds are I'm safe. Unless you count college weed and Stairway to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know music can so move me hence the nick name HappyFeet. You go little girl let the spirit lead you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know music can so move me hence the nick name HappyFeet. You go little girl let the spirit lead you.

    ReplyDelete