Sunday, December 9, 2018

Doctors

I wrote a few days ago about going to the doctor for abdominal pain. It has gone from doctor(singular) to doctors(plural). When I saw the gastroenterologist he recommended an endoscopy and a colonoscopy to determine what exactly was happening. So I went on the 3rd of December and had the endoscopy. I was unconscious after the procedure so the doctor talked to Carol. He told her my esophagus was "ugly" and "angry". Not exactly medical terms. They did communicate that things were not normal. He took some biopsies while he was looking around down there. He told Carol I needed to take my acid reflux medicine twice a day instead of once.

I went to my regular doctor on the 6th and got quizzed about what I had done in the past month. I told her I had the endoscopy and she asked what the doctor told me. I answered the question she asked and told her he didn't tell me anything since I was unconscious. Sorry doc, old corrections training. Don't try to figure out what people want, just answer the question they ask. Even if the question is stupid and the answer is unproductive. Carol stepped in and shared what she was told. The doctor changed my acid reflux medication to twice a day. She scheduled another appointment for me in three months.

What's next? I see the gastroenterologist on the 19th. I'm sure he will enlighten me on what an angry, ugly esophagus means. I was informed on Friday that my biopsy results were benign. So that was good welcome news. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for January 2nd. Happy new year to me. People have asked why that day? It was the first appointment they had available. Why not put it off a few days? I figured it was like going on a diet. You can find an excuse every day. Hell, sometimes every meal.  Why it should wait until some other time. I would like to use some excuse, any excuse, to not have that test. I'm just at the point that something has to be done to figure out what is causing my pain. As my friend Mike and I mused a couple of weeks ago, the days of drinking, smoking and mistreating our bodies are over. The bill for our misspent youth is coming due and we aren't happy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment