Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Random thoughts

Sometimes I wonder about things. These are a few of the things that have raced across my brain today.

We have a wonderful puppy named Lily Lu. She is a Redbone Coonhound. I thought I understood dogs but I have never met one like her. Life to her is a world of smells. She experiences everything  through her nose. We go out so she can do her business and by business I mean shit and piss. She wanders about nose to the ground looking for a place to pee. When she finds the right spot she squats and pees. What does that spot smell like? Why that spot and not some other spot? What makes it special? She then moves on to find a place to take a shit. Does that spot have to smell different from the one where she pees? If you stop to shit or pee and the last place you smelled is in front of you aren't you pissing or shitting about a foot from where you last sniffed? Research tells us that dogs sense of smell is 10,000 to 100,000 times as acute as a humans. If you made it into a visual analogy what you see at one third of a mile a dog could see at 3000 miles just as clearly. A dog has up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses as compared to about 6 million in a human. A dog's brain has an area devoted to analyzing smells that is 40 times greater than ours. So back to Lily Lu. She will wander around the yard and walk up to a pile of her shit from a day or two ago. She sticks her nose about 2 inches from it and starts sniffing. I don't know about you but every now and then I take a shit that smells like it could peel the paint of the walls. I thank natural selection for not making my sense of smell 10,000 times stronger. It makes me wonder why Lily Lu has to get so close when she smells her shit. What odor is she smelling for? Why doesn't it make her gag or turn head away in disgust? I have no answers, just questions. If there is a god and he can answer all our questions these will be on my list. After all from what I understand of religion we will have eternity together and he knows everything.

Well while I was thinking about noses I got to thinking about cars. A natural connection would be made to why we find new car smell so enchanting. That might be your question, it wasn't mine. Essentially when we are driving a car we are traveling around in a portable room made of glass. We drive along (maybe it's just me) with our fingers stuck in our noses like we are mining for diamonds. Why do we sit in a glass room with other people all around us in their glass rooms and think no one can see us? We head bang to the music, play the air guitar or drums, scratch, pick, floss, and do a hundred other things we don't want other people to see. It raises the question. What happens to our brains when we drive. We all think we are good at it but we look at everyone else and think they suck. We all act like we are invisible when we are not. Why oh Divine one?

Finally my last issue with noses. We blow our noses into a tissue or handkerchief and then take a look at our handiwork. Why? What useful information to we hope to obtain? Did the Hope Diamond fly out of there and we caught it? Hate to throw anything valuable away. Have you ever found anything in that tissue or hankie that you wanted to keep? Was the vision of it somehow reassuring? Happy to see that there was no brain tissue involved? We all look. What the fuck are we looking for? I have yet to obtain any vital information from these reviews but I continue to do them. Why? I have no answer. God, this is another one for my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment