Thursday, January 21, 2021

A New Day

 We have a new President. I hope we find a new path. We watched yesterday for a good part of the morning and afternoon. Something happened that I did not think was possible. A 22 year old young woman, the youth poet laureate of the United States, recited her poem. She stood in front of the current President and three former presidents and absolutely owned the moment. Her bright yellow coat and the red band in her hair drew your attention. Once those got your attention her words flowed almost magically as she commanded the podium. I enjoyed the President’s speech of unity but Amanda Gorman stole the show. Her words were beautiful and beautifully delivered. I’m not sure I’ve ever been so moved by a presentation like hers. I got chills listening to it and have gone back and listened to portions of it again. It brings a tear to your eye. It gives this old man hope for the future. Someone so young, so well spoken and thoughtful. If you’re inclined to watch the link is below. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2021/01/20/amanda-gorman-youth-poet-laureate-full-poem-biden-capitol-inauguration-vpx.cnn

No comments:

Post a Comment