Thursday, January 7, 2021

Truth

 I wondered from time to time what the value of a college education was. You spend four years learning things you are not sure you will ever use. It is especially true when you get a liberal arts degree like I did. I got my degree before the Trivial Pursuit game was invented. Prior to the popularity of trivia nights at bars. It’s hard to object to two things you enjoy- drinking beer and answering trivia questions. The older I get and the more popular social media gets the more value I find in my education. I watch other folks post things and wonder if they are true. They often sound good and reinforce something I want to be true. I do my best to stop myself from simply reposting and sharing it. I want what I share to be true. We have with computers and google the knowledge of the world at our fingertips. Too often too many of us just skip the fact check part and post what we want to be true. A part of this process that is missed by many is consideration of the source that provided the original information and the quality of the sources being used to verify its accuracy. You may see the same lies repeated on multiple sources. It is a big part of the problem with those folks who distrust what they call main stream media. They go to far right or far left wing sources and get caught in an echo chamber. You may not like the New York Times or the Washington Post but the lengths they go to in order to provide accurate information are generally reassuring. When they are wrong, and that does happen, they print a retraction and provide updated accurate information. So, please take some time, think, evaluate and seek truth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment