Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Every Day

 It started January 10, 2021. Today makes 2 years. What have I done every day for 2 years? Read. Not newspapers or magazines although I do read them. Books. I read in books every day. No particular subject matter. It has ranged from science fiction, to science, to horror, to politics, biography, history, political science, novels, just a bit of anything and everything. Some books have been a pleasure to read. Some have been work. Some I have struggled to finish. Some I wished the story hadn’t ended. Some have frustrated me. The more I read about Abraham Lincoln the more I want to know. The more impressed I am with President Lincoln. When I listen to politicians today I often think about two of Lincoln’s speeches. The first Gettysburg and the second his second inaugural address. How Lincoln could say so much with so few words. How current politicians can say so little with such long speeches. The more I read about former President Trump the more appalled I am about how he could have been elected and allowed to remain in office. I think we still don’t fully grasp the damage he has done to the country. 

So what am I reading now? The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V. E. Schwab. I’m a bit over halfway through this book and I am impressed. What would life be like if no one could remember you? Addie cannot write or draw anything. She cannot say her name. When someone meets her they can sit and talk for hours. If they get up and walk to the restroom when they return they won’t know who she is. They won’t remember talking to her. She can have no long term friendships. She cannot have a job. She made a deal with the devil. She wanted to be free. He can have her soul when she is done with it. She was born in France in the 1690’s and the story flashes back and forth between then and the 2010’s. So think about your life. How important your relationships are. Imagine your life with none of those relationships and no possibility of any relationship. Until Addie hears the words she has longed to hear for 300 years- “I remember you.” 

So, close this blog post and grab a book. Take a trip into history or into a possible future. Read about current events or politics or love or romance. A book can take you anywhere in any time period. It can warm your heart or make your blood run cold. Read!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I've got you beat. Been doing it for years. Always at the end of the day - kind of calms things down to prepare you for sleep. In fact, some books have been great sleeping aids. I don't waste too much time with one that doesn't click - Next!.

    ReplyDelete