Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Another Project

The plan this year was for me to make a quilt for each of our six granddaughters. It seemed like a good idea to give them something I had made with my own hands. Plans are always well intentioned but they don't always work out like you think they will. The quilt I am posting about tonight is the third of the six. The pattern is called Disappearing Nine Patch. You begin with a big stack of 5" square blocks and sew them together into this pattern.

So this is a single block. The color choice for this quilt was a combination of white, black and red fabrics. I realize some of these appear blue in the photograph but they are black.

The quilt consists of 24 of the 9 patch blocks. These are the blocks laid out together. Once this step is complete the blocks are cut into four equal sized pieces and sewed back together in a random pattern. So those blocks pictured above end up looking like this.

When the 24 blocks have been reconfigured to this look they are all sewn together to make a quilt top that looks like this.

The completed top will now be turned over to Carol for quilting. She will add batting in the center layer and a fabric on the back. Her quilting machine is beyond the capacity of my feeble mind but I will choose the pattern that is quilted into the fabric.

Seems like a strange way to make a quilt top doesn't it? Make perfectly good blocks and then cut them apart and rearrange the pieces to make something that looks completely different. Carol convinced me to try this and I must admit I am impressed with how it looks compared to what I had in mind. She really has a good eye for these things and IF, and that is a big IF, I am smart I will continue to heed her advice.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice looking quilt. Somehow the combination of black and red has an eye-catching appeal. Simple yet bold. Looks like a fun project. You are lucky to have such an excellent mentor.

    ReplyDelete