Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Walking

Lily is my companion on daily walks. She's a real trooper and goes as long and as fast as I do. Don't worry I'm old and fast really isn't a good term for how I move. I wanted to share some of the things we see on our walks.


Everyone has palm trees. There are a few folks who take the time and effort to make theirs a bit out of the ordinary. Why not have a little fun with the tree or stump?



If you read this blog on a regular basis then you know a bit about Tybee Island. That it was once home to Fort Screven. You would also know that I am a history buff and enjoy seeing old things preserved and repurposed. This house sits on Battery Gantt. So the owner got a foundation built in 1900 and built this stunning house on top of it. Since it was designed as a coastal battery the views of the Atlantic Ocean from the house must be stunning. Sorry, but you will have to be satisfied with the view of the house I get when I walk by.

Fences generally are boring. These folks put some effort into making a statement with theirs.


The anchor sits at the corner of Butler Avenue where you turn to head for the south end of the island. It was recovered in 1988 several miles off shore. The rock the plaque is on was a ballast rock from the sailing ship that carried the anchor.

Sometimes along your walk you see something unexpected. I know there have been many searches in the Middle East looking for this artifact. I was stunned to see it on Tybee Island. I had imagined it was much larger and that it didn't have an outboard motor. Even given these items I am convinced it is the REAL DEAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment