Sunday, July 19, 2015

Military

The news the last few days has been full of military issues. I want to cover a few of them. 

Let's start with Donald Trump. He questioned the status of Senator John McClain as a war hero stating he was more impressed with those who aren't captured. Senator McClain was a prisoner of war held by the North Vietnamese for about 6 years. He was severely injured and was tortured during his captivity. No one, and I sincerely mean, NO ONE, can or should question Senator McClain's service to his country. While I often disagree with his position on issues I never question his service or patriotism. If Mr. Trump wants to continue in the Presidential race his next public statement should begin with "I want to sincerely apologize to Senator McClain for my stupid and insensitive comments about his military service." No excuses like, "I misspoke." No qualifications about what he intended to say. Stupid and insensitive should cover it combined with a sincere apology. I doubt it will happen. 

Next, the shooting in Chattanooga which resulted in the death of five members of the armed forces. There has been some comments regarding members of the military not being armed while on duty. Military policy even prior to the directive issued during the term former President George H.W. Bush was, that outside of combat operation areas only certain persons were authorized to carry sidearms. Those were generally assigned and trained as military police. They are only authorized to carry when on assigned duty. I have, in several previous posts, expressed a need for reasonable gun control. I would like to think I am a reasonable person. Military personnel are subject to rigorous and ongoing training and qualification with firearms. The nature of war and the tactics of our opponents have changed. It was necessary in the past to be on the battlefront to fight. That is no longer the case. Drones are at least partially operated out of facilities near Las Vegas, Nevada. Those service members are involved in combat operations even though they are thousands of miles away from where they are firing missiles and dropping bombs. I think it is reasonable to have a conversation about, and possibly make adjustments to, the current policy regarding weapon possession by military personnel. 

Finally, veterans and veteran care. We, as citizens, from time to time ask members of our armed forces to leave their homes and families to go to war. I am not a veteran. I do not know what it is like to be in the military. I don't know the fear, pain and sheer horror that must exist in combat. What I do know is that every, and I do mean EVERY, combat veteran I have ever met has been profoundly and permanently impacted by the experience. We, who did not serve, owe them a debt we can never repay. Anyone who serves in Congress who feels it necessary to send troops into harms way MUST be willing to provide funds for medical, mental health, vocational and educational training for those soldiers, their widows and surviving children. It is part of the cost of war. If that means raising taxes then it needs to be done. I may not agree with everything Bernie Sanders advocates but he has said my position clearly and without qualification. 


No comments:

Post a Comment