Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas 1979 and 1980

Christmas has come and gone. Another holiday season is finishing up and a new year will greet us all in a few days. I still have Christmas history to write so we continue on this theme.

The picture above is Jeremy and Tamara preparing for Christmas 1979. Jeremy was a year and a half old for this Christmas celebration. He was a more active participant than the year before. Tamara was 3 years and 3 months of age. At this time that is the only picture I have from that year. If there are more out there I just haven't run across them yet.

This is Christmas 1980 at my Grandparent's home. Carol is clearing rolling her eyes at something ignorant I have said. I seem quite pleased with myself. Note the change in appearance, Gone is the facial hair and long hair. Jeremy is sitting on my lap.

This is Jay's wife Joan and their daughter Kate opening gifts in 1980.
 This is our niece Kate riding a rocking horse that had been Tamara's. The little piano in the background was from her mom and dad. The trike to the right was a gift from my parents, her grandparents, John and Anna.
This picture shows Jeremy with his great grandmother Byrdis and grandfather John.
 Tamara and I at Christmas 1980.
Tamara and Jeremy at the "kids table" Christmas 1980. Don't we all remember the indignity of that status in life. Relegated to the small table, with little dishes and short chairs. Part of what was going on but at the same time feeling left out of the party. Life changes when you get moved up to the big table and really become part of everything that is happening. The gold shag carpeting on the floor was hang on until the 1990's when it would be relegated to the landfill of life. By then it had long outlived its time in fashion. My childhood and adult life would be spent celebrating holidays in this house. First with my grandparents and then for a number of years when Carol and I and our children were fortunate enough to live there. I don't think everyone is suited to life on a farm but I think everyone who was lucky enough to live on one would never trade away the experience.
Jeremy, my Mom, Tamara and our niece Kate. I think all the kids had fun with that cash register and the toy money that came along with it.
My grandfather John J Sutor, my brother David and his wife Roya Lei. Note the cards strung up in the background. Grandma Byrdis would display the Christmas cards they received each year. It seems like a tradition that has in many ways fallen out of favor. I know Carol and I have not sent Christmas cards in years. We don't receive many. It seems folks are more likely to take the lazy way out and just post Merry Christmas on Facebook. One of our neighbors in Illinois is an immigrant and English can be a difficult language if it is not your native language. He sent me a text message the other day saying "Marry Christmas". I couldn't find anyone by that name to marry and Carol is all the wife I can handle.
The 1980's would be a decade of change. Grandma Byrdis would pass in 1986. I would leave the Mary Davis Home in 1988 and go to work at Hill Correctional Center. We would welcome our second son and last child to the family in 1981 and Jay and Joan would welcome a second daughter Ellen.

No comments:

Post a Comment