Friday, December 18, 2015

Ghosts of Christmas Past- the 1960's

Since I have very few pictures from Christmas celebrations in the 1960's the entire decade will be condensed into this one post. I know there are more pictures out there somewhere. It is my guess they are on slides and I have done very little with those up to now. As I work through the family collections I will gather them together and hope to post them in the years to come. For now this will have to be sufficient.

We begin in 1964. Mom is on the left leaning over toward me. She is in her mid 30's. I'm 10. My brother David's head is obscured by my older bother Jay. David is 8 years old and Jay is 12. From the looks of the Christmas tree we have helped decorate by creating the paper ring garland.

 In this picture with her back to us is our Grandmother Byrdis. Mom and I are looking at something. David is looking at us. Dad is facing the tree and Jay is on the far side of him. We are at our house and not at my Grandparent's home across the road. Since everyone is accounted for except Grandpa he must be the photographer.
We are still in 1964 and the three brothers are working their way through the gifts under the tree.

Jay and I are working on something. David is clearly amused by our efforts. If you would notice one thing about him. It would be the belt. You might ask why it is pulled so tight. He has a problem that I never had. He was thin. He wore slim waist jeans and they were still to big around the waist for him. I wore husky jeans and at times had trouble getting them snapped and zipped. Ain't genetics fun?

The picture above we jump ahead 3 years. It is 1967. Jay is 15, David is 11 and I am 13. I remember those years and the best I can do is say I am sorry. I know that raising three boys wasn't easy and the fact that we were allowed to live to be adults is all the proof I need that our parents loved us. So there is what I have of the 1960's.

1 comment:

  1. Random observations:

    1.Looks like Pops went out on the back 160 and found an appropriate tree for decorating. DId you guys use your own trees or did you go to town?

    2. Looks like a couple packages in first picture are decorated in standard brown packing paper.

    3. Could that be one of those new Japanese transistor radios in Jay's hand at the top and then your hands at the 2nd pic?

    4. Those blue cloth chairs. They look sooooo comfy. I want one of those!

    5. Picture 4. The feeding frenzy over, now its time to play! A glorious Chriatmas mess.

    6. I wonder if you and Jay are working on one of those coin sleeve thingies in #4?

    7. Last picture: how dramatic a mere 3 years makes when young. Mr. Sutor, you look positively svelte, and I like the parents' old hidden box in a box trick. I like the lamp on the table in the corner.

    Happy Christmas scenes. Great post and thanks for the peek into your childhood. Fun week.

    ReplyDelete