Monday, December 21, 2015

Ghosts of Christmas Past- 1957 revisited

There is one huge problem with computers and digital photographs. Sometimes you put them in the wrong place. They go in a folder and you don't know which folder you put them in. There are scores of folders and thousands of photographs. Where in the hell did I put those pictures. I knew I had some more pictures of a Christmas from the 1950's but I just couldn't find them. Well, at least until now. So, for those who have been following along, we are taking a day to turn the clock back once again. It is the three sons of John and Anna enjoying Christmas.

David is sitting in a pull wagon. He appears to be about 2 years old so I'm guessing this at 1957. I'm in the background holding a wagon that hooks behind a pedal tractor. Jay is sitting on a riding toy. It is operated by pulling the handle back and pushing the handle forward. I remember us having races in the basement between the pedal tractor, the thing Jay is sitting on and a tricycle.

Same year but just Jay and I in the picture. You can see the sleek lines of the thing Jay is sitting on. I remember riding that around the basement. Quite the workout for your arms but it would really move. Last I knew it was still sitting in the basement of our childhood home. It isn't new and shiny like it is in these pictures. Makes you wonder what it would take to have it restored to its former glory. Once again note that I am wearing the bib overalls. Almost has me in the mood to go buy a pair now.

Televisions have sure changed over the years. Really didn't need a big TV back then since there were only two stations to watch. Channel 4 was WHBF a CBS affiliate. Chanel 6 was WOC and affiliated with NBC.

Please take a minute to look at all the farm machinery on the floor in front of David. We spent lots of time on the floor farming with all that equipment. We had a container of shelled corn we would spread out on the floor and run the disk and plow through. Later we would harvest and put the corn up an elevator into a silo. Later on when we were older we got a Lionel train. Of course there were tractor and train accidents on the way to the grain elevator. I think the majority of the farm equipment is still around home somewhere.

I hope you enjoyed this brief rewind into Christmas 1950's style.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoyed it. Capturing ones happy childhood is a treasure.
    Random Thoughts:

    1. You won't convince me you bought that tree at a commercial lot. That has the real look of a fence row or back acre beauty.
    2. I remember seeing those hand-pump pedal thingies somewhere but never rode one. Were you able to turn it or was it just a straightline shot?
    3. We were contemporaries in the toy department and we got our share of great Tonka trucks.
    4. The first and last pictures are the same - just reversed, right? Same with 2nd and 3rd?
    5. I've tried to figure out what Jay is holding - but can;t even imagine.
    6. Also tried to make out the long handled item in front of the TV, to no luck.
    7. When we finally got a third channel, lowly WQAD, it was a major event. I think we finally got a TV around 58 or 59. Bonanza was the first show with color and we would all watch with rapture the fire fire that consumed the map on the opening title sequence.

    happy kids at Christmas. Is there anything better? Maybe the Mets in the World Series??

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to the second part of your note it is my recollection you turn the front wheels with your feet. In regards to four it also appeared to me the pictures were just reverse images. In your number 6 the long handled item in front of the TV was a popper. As the wheels rolled on the floor it would make noise and the balls would pop around in the dome. I have no idea what Jay is holding. Color TV! We didn't have that for a long time.

    ReplyDelete