Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Random thoughts

Three of our beautiful granddaughters were here over the weekend. I enjoy them when they are here and play games with them as much as I can. Johnnie Lynn is just short of three years old and has the magical thinking most kids have at that age. We will be riding in the truck and Johnnie will close her eyes and ask us if we can see her. We all play along that she is invisible and we can't find her. After a few seconds she will uncover her eyes and we act like we can see her again. She giggles and does it again and again and again. She will also sit on my lap and say: " Papa, close eyes." When I do she yells boo and I jump and she giggles. We do that over and over and over at least 50 times. Truth is I would do it 500 times if she wanted just to hear that laugh. Audrey, like me, is the middle child. She is very quiet when she meets someone new or is placed in an unfamiliar situation. People think she is shy but they are wrong. She stands back and watches how people interact before she jumps in. It is something her father has always done. Vannessa is nine and she specializes in knowing how to push everyones buttons. She will figure out what aggravates you and then find as many different ways to push that button as she can. Unfortunately for her I worked in a prison and a juvenile detention center for years so I constantly move the line where I am aggravated by her. She is having trouble determining how much she can get away with and has learned that pushing me over the line is not fun for her.

I spent part of today sorting through letters between my grandmother and my great grandparents while she was attending Knox College in the late 1920's and early 1930's. In addition there are family pictures I am scanning that date back to around 1910. I have been able to figure out who most of the people are but some I have no idea. I took about a hundred to my 81 year old mother and figured more out. It is sad to look at some of those photographs and know they are relatives but have no idea who they are. I just have to apologize to them in my head and put them back in the storage box. Please write on your photos so people know who is in the picture.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have you back. I love the laugh of a child. There's a recent YouTube vid of a wee one laughing at the sound of ripping paper. Classic.
    I, too, wish my ancestors had written names on the back of photographs. I would also add dates as well.
    Hope all is well with you guys, and love your posts.

    ReplyDelete