Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ranting like a lunatic

I wondered when I was younger why old people seemed to be pissed off most of the time. I'm old now and I think I know.
Why do stupid people talk really loud and talk about things we don't want to know? We were at a hospital in Lexington, Kentucky over the weekend because one of my brother in laws is in critical condition. There was a young redneck female in the waiting room. I say young because one of the many things I learned about her was that she is 26 years old and pregnant with her third child. Her husband or significant other is "a Mexican from Mexico". I was momentarily confused as I tried to figure out where else a Mexican could be from. I also learned that they are not all short and dark, that some have blue eyes or green eyes and have light skin. She must have repeated that at least 15 times in an hour. She was also quick to let us know that she didn't have her first baby until she was 20 years old. Her family standard is apparently 15 or 16 according to her so she is the virtuous one in her sibling group. After about two minutes of her nonsensical squeaking all I wanted her to do was SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Why do old people insist on driving. When you can't turn the steering wheel and can't see where you are going it is time to stop driving. If you live in southern Indiana and it snows at all you should be required by law to stay home. If you shuffle to your car using your walker and have to use your arms to lift your legs into the car you should be in the passenger seat.
So why are old people angry? First, because young people are loud and stupid. Second, body parts that used to be dependable aren't any longer and sometimes require Depends. Finally, because driving used to be easy and they know they suck at it now but their need for independence will not allow them to give it up. So tonight I will go out and stare at the sky hoping for that giant asteroid that will send us the way of the dinosaurs.

1 comment: