Friday, June 6, 2014

He's an American

There has been plenty of commentary from almost everyone about the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. It seems that plenty of what has been said was speculation, partial truths and/or just downright lies. I am a simple man. He is an American. He is an American soldier. He is an American soldier who was being held as a prisoner of war. Did he desert? I don't know. What I do know is the fundamental premise of American justice is that you are innocent until proven guilty. At this time he has not been charged with any violation. If he is he is entitled to a trial. He is presumed innocent until he is found guilty in that proceeding. Did other soldiers die while they searched for him? I've heard the numbers 6 and 8 suggested. I do not doubt that someone and probably several someones died trying to find him. It is something that needs to be weighed in whatever happens at trial. It is something you can be assured he will learn of and be required to live with the rest of his life. Will he feel guilt over it? I don't know. I think we would all like to hope he would.

I want to take a minute to talk about Bob Bergdahl the father of Bowe. He has not shaved his beard in the 5 years his son has been a prisoner of war. There have been a few who indicated that he looked like a Muslim. I think if you took the same guy, dressed him in camo, put a duck in his hand, had him talk like a redneck and slur gays those folks would fall in love with him. If one of my children is a prisoner of war I am sure I would be willing to do anything to secure their release. I said anything and I meant ANYTHING!

I have lots more to say about this whole incident and in the upcoming days I will vent my feelings and frustrations about actions taken by both sides. For now it is just my feeling that he is an American soldier who was held as a prisoner of war. He has been released. We should be mindful that we do not leave our soldiers behind. He is back with us and we need to allow the process to take it course over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment