Tuesday, June 10, 2014

You're Getting Old

There are days that you feel older than other days. Today for a number of reasons I feel very old. The first and biggest reason is that today is our oldest son Jeremy's birthday. He is 36 years old today. It doesn't seem possible that much time has passed since he was a baby we held in our arms. We are proud of who he is, what he has done and we look forward to a bright future for him. The other reason I feel old is because three of our granddaughters are here with us this week. They have the boundless energy of youth. I do not. They talk faster than I can think. They have a better grasp on technology than I have on reality. So I am old. How old?

To answer the how old question we head to the internet site you.gettingold.com. You put in your date of birth and it tells you all sorts of things you may or may not want to know. I will share some of mine. Today I am 60 years, 2 months and 22 days old or 21,998 days old. If that doesn't sound bad enough if you add the age of retired professional tennis player Justine Hennin (11,697 days old today) and Lady Gaga (10, 301 days old today) they equal my 21,998 days. Coca Cola was first sold in bottles on March 12, 1894. That was 21, 921 days before my birth. That means it happened closer to my date of birth than today. The Apple Macintosh computer went on sale for the first time on January 24, 1984. That is more than half my lifetime ago. If you added up all the candles that could have been on my birthday cakes the number would be 1,830. My heart of stone has beaten approximately 2,199,891,xxx times. I have taken about 478,079,xxx breaths. The moon has orbited the earth 805 times. When I was born there were 2,733,363, 103 people on earth. Today there are 7,239,566,xxx people alive. The Scrabble board game was launched January 19, 1955 so I am older than Scrabble. On August 16, 1954 the first issue of Sports Illustrated was published. That again makes me older than that iconic magazine.

Take a few minutes today and go to you.regettingold.com. The other site you need to look at every week is twistedsifter.com. If you only go there one day make it Friday. Make sure you look at the weekly Shirk Report. It is crazy things from everywhere and what led me to the site I wrote about above.

No comments:

Post a Comment