Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Once Again into the Fray

I've blogged in the past about gun control. I've received a mixed response. Some support and some criticism. I spent a good deal of today wondering about this post. What did I want to say? What point could I possibly make that would matter? I decided it wasn't important if it mattered to anyone but me. I will once again state tonight we have to do something. The number of guns, gun related deaths, the economic and social damage guns have created must be addressed. I'm tired of the stupid arguments. You know, "if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" and "from my cold, dead hands". Really? That's the best you can do. It seems to me our gutless politicians missed an opportunity after 20 school children were murdered at Sandy Hook. There are, as there are with every disaster, those who deny Sandy Hook even happened. The simple truth is that those people are retarded. Saying that makes me feel like I owe mentally challenged people an apology. The people who deny Sandy Hook are the reason many people should not be allowed to own guns. The problem isn't with American citizens or with our constitution. It is with the folks in Washington, D.C. that we elect to the House and Senate. They are no longer concerned with what needs to be done. They are only concerned with being reelected. Doing something about guns and gun violence would threaten their precious government position. Can't have that. They must keep that job. So, nothing is going to change except me.

Part of what bothered me today was the series of pictures I am posting below. My problem is that there have been so many shootings I can't remember which one cost this father his son. I just remember he was the only one in recent memory that stared into the camera and said it had to stop. No more! As a father I felt his pain. I understood his loss. I could picture myself in his shoes. My mouth saying the words he said. My anguish laid bare in every word. It is a loss I don't think I could bear.










I own guns. Yes, plural. Guns. The more I think about it the more I feel like I'm part of the problem. Would my life be complete if I didn't own a gun? Yes. Do I need one to protect my home and family? Not really. I wouldn't shoot anyone under any circumstance. Do I hunt? Not any more. Do I need a gun? No. So maybe Congress can't solve the problem. Maybe my actions will be nothing more than ill advised symbolism. I don't care. I can't continue to be part of the problem until I start being part of the solution. As for me and my house- we will be gun free. The insanity has to stop and it can't until we start to act.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo. As I relayed before I posted a plea for reform after Newtown and the vitriol that I received (Facebook) from some people was astounding. I certainly understand hunting as a sport and the need for hunting arms. I can understand collectors and their wanting to keep exotic weapons, and I can understand those wishing to protect themselves and their families. But why we can't restrict the sale to sane, stable, individuals baffles me. It is a sad commentary when we lose sight of individual massacres because there are simply too many in a years time. This nation and its politicians are still held captive by the gun lobby. A shameful period of inaction. Except on Tybee Island.

    ReplyDelete