Friday, January 16, 2015

Shut Up- Please Just STFU

Carol went to Savannah today to learn a new quilting technique called paper piecing. She has tried a couple of times to explain to me how it is done. I'm not able to picture it in my head. She was going to be there from 10 am to 1 pm so I thought I would find somewhere new to do my daily walk. I went to Lake Meyer Park which is on Montgomery Cross Road in Savannah near the Truman Parkway. It has a very nice blacktopped jogging path. One lap around is 1.48 miles so I did two laps plus just a little extra to get in 3 miles.

Why the shut up in the title? If you are a frequent reader you know I did a post recently about getting disconnected. I took a Sunday and didn't use my iPad or iPhone. Actually no computer usage at all that day. Today as I'm walking around the lake a guy comes toward me talking on his cell phone. What is the hell could be that important? I carry my phone when I walk because I use the GPS feature on Map My Walk to determine how far I have walked and at what pace. I am not inclined to answer it if or when it rings. A little while later I hear someone coming up behind me talking. It is a woman's voice and I don't bother turning around. The path is wide enough for her to get by and I'm walking by the edge. She jogs past talking on her phone as she goes. My first thought is how could it be that important. I can see her for the next quarter mile or so and she is on the phone the whole time. I think that is when amazement and/or jealousy reared its ugly head. I walk at about 3.5 miles per hour. She was jogging at about twice my pace or 7 miles per hour. Granted she weighs at least 100 to 120 pounds less than I do. Could I carry on a conversation while jogging? Please. If you wanted to hear gasp, gasp, ok gasp, gasp, what, gasp, gasp. Well you get the idea. I could maybe give a few one word answers while I attempted to suck in enough air to stay upright. The line would go dead when my heart explodes like a hand grenade in my chest and I fall twitching to the pavement for my meeting with the grim reaper. Old fat men and jogging are a deadly combination. Normally I don't care what people do when I'm out walking but the cell phone crap just drives me nuts. There was hope for a solution.

When I got back to the east side of the lake near my car I saw a sign. It said: "Beware, Lake Has Alligators." I'm not sure I would throw the folks in who were talking on their cell phones but throwing the phones in is tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment