Thursday, January 8, 2015

That Nagging Bitch

Let me be clear right off the bat. THIS IS NOT CAROL!!!!! Life becomes a series of routines. Get up in the morning. Take Lily for her morning walk to do her required duties. Cup of coffee. Read stuff on the iPad. More coffee. Breakfast. Enter the nagging bitch. It would be Miss Lily Lu. When breakfast is done she wants to go for a walk. She wants the morning mile plus walk down to and around Jaycee Park. Then we settle in for the remainder of the morning. She may take a quick nap or just lay around quietly. That is if no dogs walk by. She doesn't seem to mind little dogs. If a big dog walks by then she is going to bark. It is the hound dog bark that lets hunters know where she is treeing a raccoon. No little woof for her. When lunch rolls around she takes her position between Carol and I so she has the opportunity to beg a bite or two from each of us. It always works. She has those sad puppy eyes. After lunch I get up and start cleaning up the dishes or Carol does. When that happens Lily begins to nag. She goes to the door and whines. She runs back to me, stands up and puts her feet on my chest and whines. She runs back to the door and back to me and back to the door and back to me. It is time for our long afternoon walk. The big 4 miles I post on Facebook every day. It doesn't matter if I want a day off. She doesn't allow me to put it off till later in the afternoon. Come on, its TIME TO GO. Let's take our walk. She settles in when we get back and we repeat the sequence when we are done with supper. The after supper walk is usually only a half mile or so. It's like having my own fitness coach. Want a day off from walking. Not with Lily on duty.

I will admit that today she got cheated a bit. After lunch we walked about 2 miles. I came home and dropped her off and drove the car over to north beach. I wanted to walk along the shore during low tide. I made the walk from north beach to the pier and back for a total of 4.5 miles. It was very quiet on the beach today with a wind out of the east and a temperature of 36 degrees. On the walk I encounter less than 10 people and a couple of times there was no one in sight. It is tougher than walking on the streets here. There really isn't any way to know how far you have walked. Everything looks the same. The walk was productive beyond the exercise as I found the following along the way.

The conch shells are not big, about the size of your hand. They are the first ones I have been able to find. The one on the far right is in the best shape but still has a large crack in it.

If you come to visit and need a motivational coach to walk with you Lily is available. She loves to go and will walk as long as you want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment