Tuesday, October 27, 2015

It Was News to Me

Last week I post my thoughts about Mickey Mouse needing a cat in his life. It didn't take long for my daughter in law and expert in all things Disney, Mandie to let me know there was such a creature. I present for your review Pete the Cat.


 Pete is an anthropomorphic cat created by Walt Disney. He was originally a bear as his earliest appearance shown below clearly indicates.
 
 It seems interesting to me that Walt Disney would create a peg leg bear. The truth of the matter is that Pete predates Mickey or as he was originally known Mortimer Mouse. Pete was created in 1925 about three years prior to the appearance of Mickey Mouse. Pete has used a number of names including Peg-Leg Pete, Big Bad Pete and Black Pete. Pete states: "I was born to cheat and lie! I'm a mean rotten guy." In all of his appearances Pete is always up to no good.
 
Here is Pete appearing with Mickey Mouse in Steamboat Willie.
 
As you can clearly see Pete has changed from a bear to a more cat like appearance. He has a muzzle, nose, fur and tail like a cat. Over the years Pete would take on a more cat like appearance and become even more obese. He would also lose his tail. It is unfortunate in all those appearances he has never been able to make a meal of Mickey. I suppose that would be too much to ask Disney and too traumatic for the kids who watch and love Mickey and Minnie.
 
The attempt is always made to be correct on Bodine DILLIGAF so the record has now been corrected. Thank you Mandie.

No comments:

Post a Comment