Tuesday, October 13, 2015

What You See When You Aren't Looking

Saturday before Pirate Fest on Tybee Island, I took Carol to Savannah for her quilt guild meeting. It gives me a couple of hours to waste and I thought I would go walk around Forsyth Park. It is a nice walk around the outside and I planned on checking out the offerings at the farmer's market. It started to rain on the way there so I decided to skip the walk. I don't keep up on Savannah events and there was something going on at the park that day. Not sure what it was but it created a parking mess. I was determined to go to the market. I ended up parking several blocks away in the Victorian District West. As I was walking to the park I walked up to this church. 


It is the St. Phillips Monumental African Methodist Episcopal Church. The congregation first came together in June 1865 and celebrated their 150 anniversary this past June. 




So there you have it, another little piece of the rich history of Savannah. You never know what you are going to happen across here. If it hadn't been raining and the park wasn't so busy I would never have parked where I did. Another happy, accidental find. 


No comments:

Post a Comment