Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Small Town Living

Yesterday (July 20, 2013) Carol and I did one of those things we do every year. We went up to Oneida for their annual festival. It used to be called Oneida Days. This year in an attempt to convince more folks from out of town to visit it was renamed the Oneida Sweet Corn Festival. I don't know that it worked but it didn't hurt attendance. We did manage to accidently be there during the sweet corn eating competition. I guess for the winner it is a double succes. You get as much sweet corn as you can eat in 10 minutes and $20.00 cash. My only comment to Carol is that it was going to be ugly later. Lots of roughage in sweet corn if you get where I'm going. They will be going and going and going and going....

One of the reasons I go to Oneida is the car show. I'm not a big car show guy and generally this is the one car show I attend each year. It isn't a big show and the plus for me is there isn't a big crowd. All those years in prison and the crowded conditions there leave me with little interest in going anywhere with a large crowd. I wanted to share a few of the vehicles there that caught my interest.

The first gem is this 1930 Model A truck.


I included this view because I have a fondness for grills. It is special when form and function combine to become a piece of art work.

This beauty is a 1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe. Once again an amazing grill. 
 

 This is a 1937 Chevy Master Coupe. What great lines and curves.
This is a 1940 Ford Pickup Truck. Once again a fantastic grill.
 
 


I included this 1960 Mercury Station Wagon for a couple of reasons. It reminds me of the 1960's, big families and vacations. This boat is long enough to qualify for a zip code.
 

This is a 1964 Mercury Montery. It is included because when Carol and I were dating she had a 1966 version of this car in white. It was a gas guzzling giant. 
 
This is a 1965 Cadillac Hearse. If you are going to go to your final resting place, why not go in style?
 
 
I included this 1966 Chevy Pickup to make a statement. It is your truck and you can do what you want. I will not fault the restoration or the workmanship. Personally I enjoy the look as it would have been originally without the huge blower.

I enjoyed this GMC Truck which I assume was from Roseville, Illinois. No year listed on it but what exceptional workmanship.
 


This is included to make a statement about what is wrong with modern cars. The vent window is gone. Sorry folks but cracking open the window a bit at the top just isn't the same. Right Mike?
 
This is a 1956 Ford F100. I will say no more. 
 
 
We came around a line of cars and spotted a topless beauty. My first thought was "My God, this is a family show. Have some respect." I was then lost in awe of her glorious backside. No point in rushing around front when you can view an ass end like this one. 
 
 
 
For those hoping for a full frontal view of her topless glory.
 
One thing about this era, steering wheels were huge. You needed something that size to control this beast.
 
For the curious this is a 1959 Cadillac. I am normally a truck guy but for me she was the Best of Show!
 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, sir. Old iron, country roads, summertime. You want to see the a history of America, go to a car show. The economy, mood, and ethos of us as a people are reflected in the cars, and trucks we drove. Aside from that overblown statement, imagine a team of designers sitting down with the task of constructing a moving machine and that moment when they stand up and lovingly gaze at their creation, and say, "That's it!" By the way, that red Caddie belongs to a friend, Keith Nyman. He also lends it out for weddings. I'd hate to have to pay his gas or insurance tab.

    ReplyDelete