Saturday, January 18, 2014

I'm NOT a Car Guy

I'm not a car guy. I'm not saying I don't like cars but to me they are a tool. A way to get from one place to another. I'm less impressed with form, for me function is supreme. I can appreciate the beauty of a car but honestly most don't turn my head. Today I will share three cars with you. Only one made my heart pound in my chest. Only one said to me BUY ME.

The Detroit Auto show featured the Equus Bass 770. It is a fastback muscle car that reminds you of the muscle cars of the late 1960's and early 1970's. The advantage this car has is all the modern technology built into it and the modern materials that make it hundreds of pounds lighter. The other thing it will lighten is your bank account. The cars start at $250,000 and depending on what you want to add go up, up, up from there.



The Bass 770 tips the scales at 3,640 pounds so it is 480 pounds lighterthan a Camaro ZL1. It has a 6.2 liter supercharged V-8 producing 640 horsepower and 605 foot pounds of torque. Zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds and a top speed of 200 mph. The plan is a limited production of 100 per year.

The next car is the reason I have a problem with the Equus Bass 770.

Meet the 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback. Sure the 2014 Equus Bass 770 shows some differences from the 1968 Mustang but I am saddened by the lack of creativity in design. Seems like we got new technology wrapped in an old design. Before you rip me a new asshole I LOVE the 68 Mustang. I would buy it and probably pay more for a mint example than the Equus Bass 770. Having said that if I am going to drop big bucks the next car is where the cash would go. I must first give kudos to my buddy Mike and his blog existinginBFE.blogspot.com. Before Mike posted pictures of this beauty I had never heard of it. I'm not a car guy but when I close my eyes and imagine driving a car, right now it would be this one.



This beauty is a 1929 Ruxton made in the Moon Motor Car Company in St. Louis, Missouri in 1929. Mike indicates in his blog there was only one year of production and no more than 50 were made. What a beauty. So if you are going to reach back and steal a design from history and modernize it skip the 1960's and 1970's. Take a trip in the way back machine and give a beauty like this one some modern technology and a new lease on life. So, I'm not a car guy but this one gets my blood pumping. My helper Nate used to see fast powerful cars like the Mustang Fastback and say he was getting a "motor boner". I won't go that far with the Ruxton. She's a lovely lady who needs to be pampered. The question that comes to mind is how many Equus Bass 770's could I buy with what one of this old girls would cost me?

Thanks Mike for opening my eyes to one of the finest examples of American Automotive art I have ever seen.

1 comment:

  1. The Ruxton is a beautiful car, certainly. On February 3rd, on the blog I detail my two favorite cars in the museum. Wait till you get a load of them. Even so, the Ruxton is my 3rd favorite. They were high when they put on the color schemes and designed the headlights. In an auction (Barrett-Jackson) last year a '31 Ruxton sold for a mere pittance of $213,000.

    ReplyDelete