Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ya Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do!

Anyone who has glanced at the weather or had the opportunity to go outside knows it has been cold at hell all across America. I don't know anything about polar vortexes but cold I do know. Today the weather was supposed to get a bit better. By better I mean the high temperature was predicted to be above zero F. I woke up to a driveway that looked like this.

It seemed like it would be about time to put on the winter coat, gloves, hat and plug in the tractor so it would start and get to blowing some snow. It needed done and at least it was a little bit warmer. When I announced my plan to Carol things changed. She had in mind staying inside and cleaning this area.

It is the area above the steps that lead down to our basement. Her area to display quilts and her collection of baskets. It seemed like a simple choice. Work outside in below zero wind chills and clear the driveway, which by the way I had no intention of using to go anywhere, or stay in the warm house and be Carol's maid.

Being Carol's maid won. Easy decision. Me, up top, doing the cleaning thing.

Them baskets do get dusty up there. It had been several years since we had done this. After my ladder experience and dislocating my shoulder don't for a minute think she was going to leave me unsupervised. While I cleaned up high she did this.

Well they aren't going to clean themselves and it isn't manly to have dish pan hands. Besides I had to deal with dusty stuff like this.

The right side is where a basket sat so it didn't get the lovely coat of dust the left side did.

After several hours of work everything is clean and back in place. A job well done, but done too quickly. Still ended up snowblowing the driveway. Had to be done Carol has an appointment to get her hair done tomorrow. She now has a clean shot out to the road.

1 comment:

  1. You were talking yesterday about the snows/blizzards of the late 70's. I'm no good with dates, but I remember two distinct instances that happened around then. The first was the cold. One Sunday morning I bundled up and, while living in the boxcar on Bateman, I would usually walk down to Giants to get a newspaper. I left the house and trundled down the street and couldn't make it too far. I went back inside: the cold was so cold it felt like my skin was being filleted.
    The second time was the snow. One weekend I think Becky Simmons and I were manning the fort at MDH and the snow was so heavy I think we were there for almost 24 hours. Was it longer? I'm not sure, but people couldn't get into relieve us. The money was good that paycheck, and I don't remember having any trouble with the kids. They spent more time in their rooms if I recall. But I can remember looking out the dining room window by the phone and seeing nothing but high, drifting snow. Your pictures yesterday make me miss it all the more. Thanks for jostling my memories. As much as you probably detest it, the image of a roaring fire, a fridge full of delectable adult bevarages and the sense of being stranded sends warm vibes all over me. Or am I getting a cold?

    ReplyDelete