Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DMV

There are days when you have experiences that are so strange you are pretty sure no one would believe it wasn't made up. Our oldest son, Jeremy, had an expired drivers license. We went to the Secretary of State's Office(DMV)this morning to have it renewed. We took a number and waited about 20 minutes. Not bad considering there were as many employees on duty as there were patrons in the building. Jeremy finally got called up to the counter.
DMV: "Is the address on your license correct?"
Jeremy: "No, I have moved."
DMV: hands him a paper and states "you need to bring 2 of the following to prove your current address."
We leave and go to our State Farm insurance agent to get a copy of his renter's insurance policy which has his street address. We have to drive 10 miles back home to check his car to see if he has anything in it to prove his address. He finds his car title and car registration both listing his P.O. Box address in Macon. We go back to the DMV. We wait another 20 minutes and he is called back to the counter.
DMV: "Do you have two documents with your name and address?"
Jeremy: "Yes" he hands her his renter's insurance printout with his street address.
DMV: "I'm not sure let me check with supervisor." Receives supervisor approval.
Jeremy: "Here is my car title and registration provided to me by your office."
DMV: "These are not acceptable because they only have your P.O. Box number on them and not your street address."
Jeremy: "They were sent by your office to my address."
DMV: "I can take your vehicle registration, change the address in our system, hand it back to you and have you sign it. Then I can accept it as proof of address."
Jeremy: "WTF? With no other documentation proving my address?"
DMV: "No, that is all you will need."

I love rules and bureaucrats. It doesn't have to make sense as long as the rules allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment