Friday, February 17, 2012

Motorcycles

Yup, I got one. A big honkin' Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. I know, I used to say it too. "Another douche bag Harley rider." I used to love Kawasakis. My first bike was a 1973 500cc triple. It was a two cycle chain saw on wheels. We had three kids and I rode that bike like a window licking retarded kid on the short bus to that special school. The next bike was another Kawasaki. This time a two cylinder 750cc Vulcan cruiser. It was fun to ride but not the speedster from my past. The kids got in collie ge and life got expensive. The bike had to go. I waited several years and bought a used Harley Soft Tail standard. I got away from Kawasakis because I got tired of paying good money and 2 years later the bike had lost half its value. It seemed Harleys held their value better. After riding that Harley for a few months I understood why people love them. It is a great American made bike. We took one long trip on that bike and it just wasn't made for couples who want to travel. When I was contemplating retirement I decided a big touring bike would be my present to myself. It is a great bike to travel on. We did lighten our load on the trip by mailing our dirty clothes home. The Postmaster in Ohio was amused.
The thing I learned along the way while I was riding was watch out for the other guys. ALL OF THEM!!!! People do stupid shit when they are driving. The worst is texting. They can't watch the road and the phone at the same time. What happens to their brains when they are talking on the phone? You can hold a conversation when you drive but put that phone to your ear and talk and something goes wrong. Why can't we hold our hand by our head and talk and drive the car? Some people can but most can't. Riding a bike you notice other drivers. Why do people in cars do shit and think they are invisible? You are in a glass room with a finger stuck up your nose digging away like you are mining for gold. Then you pull your finger out and look at the results of your labor apparently on the off chance that there will be a diamond on the end. More likely there is a chunk of brain tissue on there, like they had some to spare. Then there are the dancers and headbangers. They are so lost in the music and the moment they don't realize we are watching their American Idol audition or Dancing with the Stars routine. It's glass all around you! We can see you! Please work as hard at seeing the motorcycles out there as you do goofing around. We always lose when you hit us.

No comments:

Post a Comment