Monday, February 20, 2012

Ladders

On June 20, 2011 I had the bottom of a ladder kick out from under me. I rode it down the wall to the concrete floor. The result was a dislocated shoulder and a torn rotator cuff. My injuries are better but I still have some limitations in movement. Today was the day I needed to get back on the horse that threw me. Some work needed done in the basement and I wanted to put a new shelf up in the stairway going down to display some of my Wizard of Oz stuff. So I got the ladder set up on the stairs and looked at it for a while. I wasn't sure I wanted to climb up there after all. I couldn't picture not being able to do work up high but the memories of the fall were right there to tell me not to do it again. I'm not one to give in to fear often and I forced myself to climb up and get to work. I immediately broke out in a sweat but figured as long as I was up there I should go ahead and do something. I marked where the bracket would go and got back down to get the drill to make pilot holes for the screws. It wasn't any easier going up the next time and Carol suggested I get someone to do it for me. Pride got involved then. No way is anyone coming over here to do a simple job like this. I am not crippled, this will get done by me. The holes got drilled and the brackets put up and all the time I was sweating like a whore in church. I forced myself to use my injuried arm because I need it to work as well as possible. Overcoming fear is not an easy thing and I honestly did not expect for this to be so troubling. I have fallen off ladders before but in the past the consequences have not been so severe. It will be interesting this summer when I have to stain the house and I will be 20 feet in the air and not 5 feet like today. Baby steps. Might be a good idea to take this really slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment