Friday, February 10, 2012

History

I continue to go through old family photographs trying my best to figure out who these people are. There are old tin type photos and family pictures on post cards. So many of the pictures were taken in Galesburg so you would think that would be a help. Well for better or worse my grandfather John J. Sutor live in a house built by his father and Grandfather in 1878. My great grandmother Emma Parsons Sutor was raised on her family's farm near Henderson and they were in the Galesburg area before the Sutor's arrived in Sparta township in 1868. So I have been pulling photos out of albums hoping that someone put a name on the picture. It happened in only about 6 out of about 500.
Having said all that there were some gems in the box I went through. There was a photo album given to my grandfather John for his 10th birthday in October 1916. I found several pictures of Grandpa with his airplane taken in the late 1920's or early 1930's. Pictures of my grandmother Byrdis when she went to Europe in 1933 following her graduation from Knox College and preceding her marriage to John.
Carol wishes I had asked my grandparents who some of the people in the pictures are. I am certain that many of them were known only to my great grandmother and she died 23months before my birth. So unfortunately many of the pictures will never have names associated with them. The goal is to get as much family history down as possible so someone in the future will have a better sense of their roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment